1. Put on a pot of salted water to boil,
then start the sauce.
2. In a medium skillet, over medium heat,
combine the bacon or pancetta with the oil. After the bacon starts
sizzling, sauté for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the onion and hot pepper flakes
to the bacon and continue to cook 5 more minutes.
4. Add the pasta to the boiling water.
5. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and
break up with the side of a wooden spoon. Let simmer about 8 minutes,
until reduced to a thick, chunky sauce. Season with salt to taste.
6. Drain the pasta and, in a large serving
bowl, toss with the hot sauce, then toss again with the cheese.
7. Serve immediately with extra cheese
on the side.