1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter
a 1-quart soufflé dish.
2. In a medium saucepan, over medium-high
heat, combine the milk, cornmeal, and salt. Stirring constantly,
bring to a simmer.
3. Lower heat and cook for 2 or 3 minutes,
until mixture has fully thickened and you can see the bottom of
the pot as you stir.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the butter
and baking powder.
5. In a small bowl or cup, beat the egg
yolks to blend, then blend thoroughly into the cornmeal mixture.
6. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg
whites until they hold stiff peaks. Fold into the cornmeal mixture,
right into the saucepan.
7. Pour into the souffle dish and bake
for 30 to 40 minutes until top is lightly browned.
8. Serve immediately.